Remeber that I do not recommend GMud. See the page on [Client Software] for evaluations of many
different mudding clients.
I am not responsible for GMud, and I have nothing to do with GMud. GMud
is no longer maintained by its creator, but it is Shareware. I found a
copy on the web, so I am mirroring it here. I scanned the copy for
viruses, didn't find any, and tested it for an hour or so. It seems good.
But I make no promises. I didn't write the thing; I just found a copy.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR
OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE
USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
(And remember, don't sue me. I have no money.)
Download, Install, Play!
Now that that's out of the way, here is how to download and install the
- GMud does not use an installer. Just download the file, unzip it into
a folder, and it's ready to run. To uninstall it, just delete the folder.
- Download [gmd3219b.zip] from this
- This is the zip file I found floating around the web, and have
mirrored here. I made minor modifications to add a Connection type for
Darkover, to save your time setting it up.
- Download [GMUD32.INI] from this link
here. Save it to your Windows directory.
- Your Windows directory is something like C:\WINDOWS,
C:\WINNT, etc. If you don't save the file there, it won't do
- You don't have to download this file, but if you don't, GMud will
just create a new one in your Windows directory anyway. The default file
GMud creates has very bad settings; remember, GMud is old. This file does
the configuration for you to make GMud behave as best it can.
- If you ever mess up GMud's settings and can't figure out how to fix
them, just download this file again and overwrite the one in your Windows
- Unzip gmd3219b.zip into a new folder. It doesn't matter where you put
the folder. I put mine on my Desktop and named it "gmd3219b", but you can
name the folder anything and put it anywhere. Do whatever you like.
- Double-click GMUD32.EXE in the folder, and GMud will start. Cool.
- Go to the "File" menu, and pick "Connect..." A new window will open
up with settings for Darkover.
- Click the "Connect" button on the bottom of the window, and you will
connect to Darkover. You can now play the game. :)
Remember, zMUD Is Better
As noted in my review of [Client
Software], GMud has choppy scrolling, bugs with colorization, and is
just not very good compared to other clients. If you honestly like GMud,
that's cool, but give other clients a chance too. Even the old, free zMUD
is better than GMud.
Have fun and enjoy the game!